Saturday, May 16, 2009

Random acts of kindness can change a persons day entirely

As I stare outside my window what I see is a thick haze outside, it looks like it actually cold outside, as it looks almost like fog, but if you go outside you'll realize its quite the opposite of cold, but extremely humid and its a thick humidity too. Anyway, as I look outside i reminisce on the weekend that was...

My taxi trip to Dubai is one Ill never forget.
I took a taxi from the beach to Etihad transport during the day, knowing that I would need a taxi that same evening, so i kindly lean forward and ask the lovely indian driver in the front seat if he could take me to dubai tonight, and if he could pick me up at 6pm from Mohamed bin Zayed City, Mussafah, the place I currently reside. He turns his head with the typical indian head shake. So again, like a daily duty, I have to interpret if this means 'yes' or 'no'. I ask again if this means yes or no and he repeats the head shake and replies yes madam. Ok, so i have worked that bit out, and I have my ride secured for tonight.
Taxi indian man was 20 mintues late to pick me up, so when i get in I was frustrated, I ask him nicely if he knew the shopping centre of where I wanted to go, after a bunch of mumble jumbo that came out of his mouth, I eventually worked out that he had no clue where it was. I then asked him poliety since he had no clue where I needed to go, to drop me off at the nearest taxi rank in Dubai when we get there. He didnt reply to this, so i said it again, and he gave me some look, so i figured he knew what I was talking about.
After 1 hour and 10 minutes we arrive in Dubai. Stuck in traffic that goes for miles and miles and miles, and you cannot see the end of it with cars all over the road beeping their horn at everyone and anyone, as really none of them should have their license. They are not the best drivers there. But the indian taxi man slows right down in the middle of traffic, so in front of us was about 15 meters of empty road. So now you can just imagine the beeps he was getting. Im thinking to myslef in the back seat what is this crazy nut bag doing, there was no exit close so he couldnt be trying to get to the side to exit. but he winds down his window yelling at the top of his voice asking another taxi man where this shopping center was that I wanted to go. Ok I now I firgure he wanted to take me there. But dubai is not easiest to find things when there is traffic galore and you cant slow down. So I tell me him kindly again to not worry about trying to find the shopping centre, as it wil be too hard for him, it would be easier if he just leaves the main road and finds a taxi rank, at a hotel or something. I was fine with that. He keeps driving, At this point I thought Either this taxi man does not understand me or is being completly stubborn and wanting to take me to where I wanted to go. So we keep going. I have been to this shopping centre before and recoginse the are surroundings and how far it should be from when we enter Dubai, but I knew at this point we had gone too far, so I yelled at the taxi man, to stop and drop me off at another taxi as he was now obviously lost. And it was costing me. HE STILL DIDNT LISTEN, and continues, he winds down his window, ( now at this point I wanted to kill him, okay not literelaly, but I was soooo frustrated with the silly taxi man, and I was, for you girls that know, hormonal, so things get to you a little more than normal!!) I wanted to cry at this point. and he talks to another gentleman, this time this man was a westerner, and his accent sounded like canadian im pretty sure. The gentleman relpies, follow me. So the taxi man proceeds to follow this random man on the road. I was in the cab already for 2 hours. So I was frustrated as it should have only taken me 1.5 hours to get where I wanted to go normally. As he follows this random driver, he took us in and out of all these backstreets, around through all this interesting construction. I kept thinking to myslef, he better know where he is going!! as all I wanted was to get out of the taxi!! 15 mintues later, we arrive at the shooping centre. after doing a U-turn. I knew we had gone to far, and I told him this. So this random driver, who I now will never forget and thank God for him, as I was about to have a mental breakdown in the back of the cab. He took me and the cab driver to the taxi rank, the canadian gentelman got out of his car, he said this is it, and repeated, "enjoy your night, I just took you here as I felt something say to me show them the way", " and he then repeated, "Keep me in your prayers, and take care" and left. I wanted to give the guy a big hug and thank him from saving me from this horrible cab driver. As I was really upset at this point, but didnt show it. This random gentelman went 15 mintues in the oppisite direction to where he wa going to show the us the way. I felt so revelived when I got out the cab after 2 1/4 hours.
Just so you know, i didnt pay full fare either. I gave him much less for the mistakes he made. I left with a remark of, if you had done what I told you to right from the start, I wouldnt be 45 minutes late, and you would have got more money. But I didnt get to thank the random gentlmen as he left. but Ill never forget him thats for sure. And like he said, I sure will keep him in my prayers, as random acts of kindness like that in this country does not happen too often at all!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awww babe thats awesome, well the Canadian taxi driver that is. Maybe you should invest in a tazer :-D

    ReplyDelete