Sunday, May 17, 2009

The fine sound of the chime to katmando

As I arrive in the briefing room of flight 292 headed to Katmando, my eyes wander the crew ill be working with, first impressions - I thought this was going to be a long flight. After briefing and answering my safety and first aid question. The cabin manager hands me a piece of paper, on the top had 'Evaluation for 19422', ( thats me by the way, my staff number) Perfect this day ahead of me is going to fine and dandy. I was being evaluated for THE SECOND TIME mind you and the crew looked boring. I skim the sheet of paper in my hand and I see that its all simple sorts of things ill be evaluated on, ill be fine.

So we are on the plane, I do my pre flight checks and all is well, we are off to Katmando a 4 hour flight from Abu Dhabi. I started a convo with the crew and it started to get better, they seemed nice, so my spirits lifted and as you always should know "Dont judge a book by its cover" . There were only 47 passenger of 200 seats in a A330 economy class , so you can imagine, there was not a lot of work to be done, so I could talk my way to katmando and back. And we did just that. Well on the way there. Not many stories to tell about on the way there. Except one really, Okay... Im tall, and every flight I go on, I seems to NEVER escape me, and i fly with new crew every time. And one conversation with the crew seems to be about my height. I repeat the fact that I am 184cm tall, and im taller than my sister and brother, and my mother is Dutch and My Father in Dutch/Indonesian. In cant escape these questions EVERY FLIGHT. Even the captains ask me, EVERY captain so far on my flight has asked about my height. But Im getting soo used to it now, it rolls off my tongue like a poem, and dont even realise i have answered the question. I do say all this with a smile on face, as I know each individual is generally interested in the background, either that or curious, jealous, or just wanted to start a convo.

Okay, so Now we have landed in Katmando, I dont get off the plane, and we start to board to fly back to Abu Dhabi, this time the flight was FULL with no remaining seats. This flight was gonna be FUN!! HAHHAA.
The sounds of the chime. Okay so we had about 30 Refugees on the plane, none of which could speak English, so it was great fun communicating with them! They were off to the U.S to start a new life with some company that is trying to help these Nepalese people. They are nice in their own way, they had a nice manner I guess for non English speaking communication. But they really had no idea about anything. For some of them it was there first flight experience ever, and they had photos taken on the plane. They were happy.
We have an in flight entertainment, of which they can use themselves with the hand held control on their seat and the screen on the seat in front of them. AND...the 'Call attendant' button is on this control as well!. BAD idea for some!! They don't know how to use this control, and we don't know how to explain how to use it, as they don't speak English. So throughout the entire flight the call button continued to go, every 2 seconds, without exaggerating the "DING" would go off. "DING"... "DING"... "DING" Now as a safety aspect we must check all of these calls, and attend to them just "incase" of an emergency. Just picture me sitting in the back of the plane to start with, and then it starts, I dont get to basically sit back down till the end of the flight. It became a joke in the end, I would laugh with the passenger, as they had no idea why I kept coming up to them. I had to make some sort of joke about it, or I would got plain tired of getting up and down. You could almost make a beat and song to the chime. HAHA."DING" ... "DING" ... "DING" its still repeating in my head now.. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
We served them meals, and it was an exhilarating experience doing this with no English, i almost wanted to act like a chicken to describe the chicken, turn into a vegetable for vegetable and "Moo" like a cow for beef. But some how I think I would have had some funny stares and the cabin manager may not have been too impressed considering I was being assesed. So insted I chose to skip this idea, and just hand them any meal with any flavor jucie. It worked okay.

I made some nice friends on the plane. Plane conversations are very strange!! As you have anywhere between 1 hour to 14 hours to make conversations with people you just met. So they range from talking about boys and relationships, which is usually a topic of conversation in alll flights, to food, to cities, to annoying passengers, and favourite colours. A conversation we had last night was well, a game, we treid to find a fruit and colour for all letters of the alphabet. Its kept us amused for some time!!! and we came up with some rather funny things I must admit.

This is all for now... till later

1 comment: